News Flash Home
The original item was published from 12/6/2013 1:24:16 PM to 12/6/2013 2:51:04 PM.

News Flash

City of Allen Headline News

Posted on: December 6, 2013

[ARCHIVED] Storm Response Efforts and Important Alerts

City staff continue to respond to several storm related issues. Please be advised of the following alerts:

Streets: Sanding continues as needed on major roadways, intersections, bridges, and inclines. Caution is advised if driving around town. Residential streets and other areas around town are not sanded.

Traffic Signals: Some traffic signals may not be operational. We are working with the electric provider to restore power and mobile generators are being used to power some intersections. Intersections with non-working signals should be treated as a four-way stop by motorists.

Tree Damages: The City is removing fallen trees and branches from alleys and roadways in public right-of-way areas. To report an issue call 214.509.3100 during normal operating hours; or the Stacy Road Pump Station at 214.509.4530 after hours and on weekends. The City is unable to assist with removal of trees and branches on private property.

Residential Water Lines: If your water pipes break, remember that most homes have a water shut off in a four to six inch plastic “stack” in the front of the house. The stack has a valve that can be turned to shut off the water. You can also turn the water off at the street in the water meter can, but this might be difficult or require a special tool. If your home has a leak and floods, call the City for shut off assistance at the Stacy Road Pump Station 214.509.4530 if needed.

Trees on Residential Power Lines: If you have a tree that contacts or breaks the power line going from the power pole to the house, hire a private company to trim the trees. Call your power company to come out and de-energize the line for safety and then re-energize the line after the trimming is completed.

If the line that is broken or is being touched by trees is going from pole to pole (the main lines), contact the electric company. Crews are primarily focused on critical accounts like hospitals and nursing homes during emergencies, but they will handle all tree issues as they can. Call the number on your residential electric bill for assistance; or one of the numbers below:

Oncor at 1-888-313-6862
CoServ at 1-800-274-4014
GCEC at 1-800-967-5235

Facebook Twitter Email