FEB. 11, 2022 - In 2019, Allen City Council voted on a petition to have the Allen Firefighters Association (AFA) recognized as the sole and exclusive bargaining agent for the members of Allen Fire Department. The petition authorized staff to proceed with the Meet and Confer process pursuant to Subchapter B, Chapter 142 of the Texas Local Government Code. City staff and AFA successfully reached an agreement related to Meet and Confer, summarized by these major points:
- The agreement takes effect immediately, except for items that cost money. Those items will be implemented mid-year if budget projections support the funding of those items. If budget projections do not support funding those items, they will be implemented on Oct. 1, 2022, pending budget approval by City Council.
- Existing pay strategy will remain with one exception: The annual market-based pay increase will go up by 2% to compete with other agencies
- Certain certification pay will increase from $50 per month to $75 per month
- Implementation of an “Educational Pay” program – Employees with certain degrees will be compensated an extra monthly stipend for those degrees.
- Inclusion of a "Holiday Buy Back" provision – An employee who works a holiday may take an alternative day off or be compensated extra for working the holiday.