Many Allen residents have encountered water pipe damage due to the recent winter storm and excessively cold temperatures. Though permits aren't required for emergency pipe repairs, the City of Allen Building Inspection Division advises residents to be cautious when hiring contractors to perform this type of work. Unfortunately, storm events can attract dishonest people attempting to scam homeowners by doing no work, half of the work or making things even worse than they were before. Please be alert of the following when hiring a contractor:
- A contractor that requires you to hand over money up front.
- A contractor that is overly aggressive to get you to sign a contract without thoroughly inspecting the damage.
- A contractor who indicates you may need much more work than just a simple repair. While this may be the case, you should always get another licensed plumber’s opinion before agreeing to any large-scale extra work. If you truly do need the extra work completed, you also likely now require a City of Allen Permit and Inspections to ensure your job is done correctly.
- Out-of-state plates on contractor vehicles, as individuals sometimes target areas from out-of-state.
- All persons, companies and businesses must use the solid waste disposal and recycling services provided by the City of Allen. If your contractor uses an open top container/dumpster for collecting debris, it must be obtained from Community Waste Disposal (CWD) at 972.392.9300 (option 2).
Ensure your plumbing contractor is a State of Texas Licensed Plumber. This is a requirement for any individual performing any type of plumbing work in the State of Texas. You can verify the validity of a license by visiting the Texas State Board of Plumbing Examiners. Additionally, if your contractor is from out-of-state, please request to see their provisional plumbing license that is issued by the state of Texas; this provisional license allows them to perform work in Texas.
Be diligent in investigating a contractor before hiring them. There are numerous internet sources available ranging from The Better Business Bureau to online reviews of contractors. Take advantage of these resources if you can.
If you need more information please call us at 214.509.4130 or visit our website.