More than $800,000 in state and federal grant funding will be used to support Allen residents facing a variety of challenges due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Allen’s Community Enhancement Department will oversee the assistance programs, which include help for:
- Up to 6 months of water utility assistance for City of Allen residential utility accounts. Customer accounts must be in good standing before eligibility is assessed. Customers with active payment plans will be considered. Details.
- Rental assistance program and eviction diversion program. Allen residents facing eviction will be referred to the program through the Collin County Justice of the Peace. Program details pending.
- Food assistance for additional seniors through Meals on Wheels
- Tutoring assistance for 50-100 low-income students through Allen ISD referral. Program details pending.
- Small business grants to those who employ low-income employee(s). Program details pending.
- Needs assessment study to explore need for future social services
Allen City Council approved the changes to the Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) program and administration of the Texas Department of Housing and Community Affairs funding on January 26.
Programs will be phased in during February and March 2021. Community needs assessment results will be returned in May 2021.