News Flash Home
The original item was published from 1/8/2021 5:40:00 PM to 1/11/2021 12:00:08 AM.

News Flash

City of Allen Headline News

Posted on: January 8, 2021

[ARCHIVED] Winter weather outlook for January 9-10

man walking outdoors in heavy winter coat

Parts of North Texas may be impacted by wintry weather over the weekend. Depending on local impact in Allen, some city services and facilities may adjust hours or programming. Visit for information on closures or delays. 

Road conditions

City of Allen crews are prepared to respond to snow and/or ice on main thoroughfares only. We do not maintain the equipment needed to plow residential/neighborhood streets.

Power outages  

Don't call 9-1-1 if your power goes out. Contact your power company to report the outage using the information found on your monthly statement. If you see fallen power lines on a road, alley or sidewalk, call 9-1-1 before contacting the power company.

Leaking/burst pipes 

Rapid changes in temperature can put a strain on pipes. Report any outdoor leaks or breaks to Allen’s 24-hour water/sewer emergency hotline at 214.509.4530. To prevent pipes from bursting inside your home, open cabinet doors near pipes and keep faucets on a slight trickle when temperatures drop below freezing. This keep warm air circulating. Know where your water shutoff valve is located in case a leak does occur. 

Pet care

Don’t leave pets outdoors when the temperature drops. If they must be outside for extended periods of time, ensure they have a warm, dry shelter protected from the elements. Keep food and water dishes in a warm spot so they won’t freeze. Cats and small wildlife may seek shelter near the warm engines of parked cars, so bang on the hood to scare them away before you start the car. 

Idling vehicles

Don’t leave idling cars unattended. Though it may be tempting to let your car warm up before you start driving, don’t walk away with the keys in the ignition. Idling cars are an easy target for thieves. 

Generator and fireplace safety 

Generators produce carbon monoxide, an odorless and colorless gas that can cause fainting and even death. Never use a generator inside your home, basement, garage or other enclosed space. Keep generators at least 20 feet away from any window, door or vent. To prevent carbon monoxide poisoning, install a CO detector in your home and replace the battery regularly. If you use a fireplace, inspect and clean the chimney annually and keep a fire extinguisher nearby. Don’t ever leave a fire unattended.

Facebook Twitter Email