News Flash

Fire Department

Posted on: May 24, 2018

This Pool Season, Practice Chemical Caution

picture of a pool with ladder descending into water

Follow the advice of the Poison Center Network to prevent burns, breathing problems and more.

Concentrated pool chemicals, when mixed with water, create a type of bleach similar to that purchased in the supermarket. They can cause burns to the eyes, throat, lungs and intestines if they make contact with the eyes or are swallowed.

The dust or vapors from bromine or chlorine powders also can cause skin rashes as well as be an irritant to the eye, creating itching, stinging and watering. Individuals who have asthma are especially sensitive to this dust. When opening the lid on a pool chemical, make certain you are in a well-ventilated area and turn your face to one side or point the container away from you. Be cautious if opening the lid on a windy day as the dust or vapors may blow into your face.

Proper use and storage of pool chemicals help to prevent unintentional poisoning. The Poison Center Network reminds residents to:

  • Store products in their original containers in a cool, dry and well-ventilated area, out of the reach and sight of small children.
  • Never smoke while using pool chemicals.
  • Always add chemicals to the water - never add water to the chemicals.
  • Never add chemicals to the pool while someone is in the water.
  • Never mix chemicals unless the label specifically instructs you to do so.

Follow the label directions exactly in the use, storage and disposal of the chemicals. If you think someone  has been poisoned, call 1.800.222.1222 to reach your local poison center. You can call the national toll-free number from anywhere in the U.S., 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Safely dispose of chemicals in Allen's HHW prog
Facebook Twitter Google Plus Email

Other News in Fire Department