The City of Allen is now accepting applications for its boards, commissions and committees. These entities advise the City Council on a variety of issues, ranging from animal shelter operations to zoning recommendations. The majority of appointments are for two-year terms with no term limits, although a few have three-year commitments. Allen’s boards and commissions include:
• Animal Shelter Advisory Committee
• Board of Adjustment, Sign Control and Building and Standards Commission
• Central Business District Design Review Committee
• Community Development Corporation
• Convention and Visitors Bureau Advisory Board
• Economic Development Corporation
• Keep Allen Beautiful
• Library Board
• Parks and Recreation Board
• Planning and Zoning Commission
• Public Art Committee
All qualified voters with one year of residency in the City of Allen are eligible to apply for positions with any of the council-appointed boards. Qualifications for the Economic Development Board also extend to non-resident applicants who have been employed in a management position for at least one year with a business or company located in Allen.
All applications received, including those from incumbents, will be reviewed and considered for interview. Interviews are typically held in late August and early September. Appointments are made in September and are effective Oct. 1.
Application forms for all boards, commissions and committees can be obtained from the City Secretary’s Office on the third floor of Allen City Hall (305 Century Parkway). The deadline for submitting an application is August 7, 2015.