Resources for Renters
Multi-Family Inspection Program
The purpose of the Multi-Family Inspection Program is to safeguard the life, health, safety, welfare, and property of the occupants of multi-family dwelling complexes and the public, by developing a process to enforce city building code standards and city property maintenance codes; and to provide equitable and practical remedies for the violation of city building code standards and city property maintenance codes.
The Code Compliance Division is committed to maintaining a vibrant community through active participation and engagement of Allen residents. To ensure compliance with City Codes, Zoning Ordinances, and other applicable property maintenance codes, Code Compliance Staff regularly inspect Allen's multi-family communities to encourage, assist, and facilitate residents and multi-family properties in maintaining their property and fulfilling city code requirements.
Report a property maintenance concern
- How soon after filing a complaint will an inspection be performed?
Staff usually responds within 72 hours.
- I would like the inside of my home inspected. Why won't an inspector come inside?
At this time, only exterior and common interior areas are inspected.
- How long will it take to resolve a violation found during an inspection?
Timeframes vary, but we work to achieve compliance within 10-30 business days.
- Can I file an anonymous complaint?
Yes; however, providing contact information allows the inspector to gain additional information, if needed, and follow up with the complainant.
- What happens if the violation is not corrected in the timeframe given for compliance?
Depending on the violation, this might include a notice to appear in municipal court or an administrative abatement to gain compliance.
- Who is responsible for correcting the violation?
The property owner is responsible for correction, unless the violation is not a result of the building defect - such as improperly stored tenant items.
- Can the City get me out of my lease?
The City does not get involved in civil matters such as contractual agreements, not can we provide legal advice.