Teen Court is an educational opportunity that helps teen defendants and volunteers to understand our justice system. Teen Court is a voluntary program that allows juvenile Class C misdemeanor defendants to handle their citation through community service and involvement in the judicial process. Cases are presented by volunteer Teen Court attorneys to a jury of the defendant's peers, including volunteers from local middle/high schools and previous teen defendants.
The jury members assess a sentence of community service following the guidelines set by the Municipal Court. Upon successfully completing Teen Court, the defendant will not have to pay any fines. Instead, the charges will be dismissed and removed from the youth's permanent record.
Benefits of Teen Court
Allen's Teen Court program allows teens to serve as defense and prosecuting attorneys, bailiffs, jurors, and clerks. Teens may choose which roles are of interest to them. Attorney volunteer positions require additional training.
- Gain community service hours
- Receive letters of recommendation for colleges and scholarships
- Develop strong interpersonal skills
- Make a meaningful difference in your community
- Experience court procedures and the legal system firsthand
- Help other teens by diverting them from a criminal record
- Learn responsibility and accountability
Apply to Participate in Teen Court
If you are interested in participating, please complete an application to volunteer for Teen Court. Applications and brochures are also available at the Municipal Court front office (301 Century Parkway).
Register for Upcoming Teen Court Dates
Teen Court participants must register online to participate in upcoming court dates. Juror positions are available to all applicants. Applicants for attorney, bailiff or clerk positions must complete mandatory training before participating in that role.
- No electronic devices (including cell phones)
- No audio/visual recordings without permission
- No pets
- No weapons
- No gum, food or drinks
- No tobacco/vaping/e-cigarettes