Genealogy & Family History
General Genealogy Sites
- Cyndi’s List - An extensive collection of genealogy related websites
- Family Genealogy & History Internet Education Directory
- FamilySearch from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.
- One Great Family claims to be the world’s largest online family tree
Other Genealogy Sites
- Archives.gov (NARA) - The National Archives
- Family Tree Connection - both free and subscription based; provides access to secondary resources like yearbooks, city directories, Masonic rosters, and church records. Browsable by US regions or record type.
- Footnote.com - A social networking site brings together over 40 million original historical documents and continues to grow. Partnered with the National Archives, it added and interactive World War II collection, which includes and interactive version of the USS Arizona Memorial, World War II Hero Pages and World War II photos. Other material includes the Matthew Brady collection of Civil War photos and UFO documents from 1947-69.
- The Origins Network - The place to go for British, Irish and Scottish origins information. Subscription required; prices are in British pounds.
Digital Sanborn Maps
Digital Sanborn Maps - (1867-1970) - provides digital access to more than 660,000 large-scale maps of over 12,000 American towns and cities. Available through the TexShare Databases. Call 214.509.4905 for login information.
- Genealogy Bank - A newsbank pulling from over 3700 historical newspapers to provide information on American families from 1690 to today. Focus is on obituaries (back to 1977) and death records.
- Social Security Death Index
- World Vital Records.com - Subscription based; includes many databases, birth, marriage, death, census and military records, as well as family trees, newspapers, and newsletters.