Click to Home

Go To Search
HomeVisit AllenLive in AllenDo Business in AllenDepartments and ServicesNews and EventsI Need To

History
Feb. 18, 1953: The Allen Fire Department is organized and composed of "Engine and Hose Company No. 1." Its motto is "When Duty Calls 'Tis Ours to Obey." The department was formed entirely of volunteers and required an initiation fee of two dollars to join.

July 11, 1963: Allen City Council members, including G.T. Jones and A.C. Story, approve the fire department's constitution and by-laws.

1975: Ron Gentry becomes the first paid employee of the Allen Fire Department as the part-time fire chief.

1982: The City of Allen hires six paid, full-time firefighters to supplement its staff of volunteers. Station 2 on East Exchange Parkway is built.

1985: Chief Gentry begins working for the City as a full-time employee. 

1998: Fire Station 4 is built on Alma Drive.

2000: The Allen Volunteer Fire Fighters disbands; the Allen Fire Department becomes an all-paid department.

2002:  Chief Ron Gentry retires; Bill Hawley becomes the Allen Fire Department's second fire chief. Central Fire Station opens, complete with a four-story training tower, training center and office space for administrative staff.

Jan. 2011: Station 5 on McDermott Drive opens; it is one of the first stations in the United States to meet Platinum LEED Standards for sustainability.


central fire station