Click to Home

Go To Search
HomeVisit AllenLive in AllenDo Business in AllenDepartments and ServicesNews and EventsI Need To

Going Green Initiative
Allen USA Gradually Going Green
You may consider the USA Celebration to be a red, white and blue event, but if you look closely in the background you will also see a bit of green. Yes, the USA Celebration has been going green for the past five years.

Incorporating green aspects into this event means that our actions on this day result in a positive impact on the environment. The three green actions taken to green up the USA Celebration are positive waste management, recycling and composting:
  • Cardboard recycling for vendors is available onsite.
  • Food vendors use compostable serve ware. All food waste and serve ware is taken to the regional composting facility rather than landfilled.
  • Recycling and compost bins are strategically placed throughout the event.
  • Trash receptacles are available near compost and recycling containers to provide one-stop waste management.

Potted plantIn 2009, the Allen USA had 90 containers for recyclables, compostables and debris. Fifty recycling containers for bottles and containers were placed all over the festival grounds, 25 compostable containers were only placed in the food court area, and the remaining 15 were placed in various locations. Allen USA had only 17% trash containers placed out for debris, the other 83% of the containers were for recyclables and compostables. The results were astounding: 1, 480 pounds of materials were collected from the event, 910 pounds of plastic bottles and containers, 455 pounds of compostables and 118 pounds of debris. This meant only 8% of the materials that was collected from this event went to a landfill, and 92% of the material collected was recycled at a MRF or composted.

Allen USA 2014