Health & Medicine
- Healthfinder - A website sponsored by the government that has resources on a wide range of health topics selected from over 1,600 government and non-profit organizations to bring you the best, most reliable health information on the Internet.
- Mayo Clinic - Provides information and services from the world's first and largest integrated, not-for-profit group medical practice. Manage your health with information and tools that reflect the expertise of Mayo's 3,400 physicians and scientists, learn how to access medical services, and discover Mayo's medical research and education offerings.
- Medline Plus - Produced by the National Library of Medicine and brings you information about diseases, conditions, and wellness issues in language you can understand. You can use MedlinePlus to learn about the latest treatments, look up information on a drug or supplement, find out the meanings of words, or view medical videos or illustrations. You can also get links to the latest medical research on your topic or find out about clinical trials on a disease or condition.
- Merck Online Medical Library - The online version of the various Merck manuals.
- National Institute on Aging
- Texas Department of State and Health Services - The Texas Department of Health Audiovisual Library circulates materials throughout Texas for a short time basis. They have health related ½" VHS video, CD-ROMs, slides, audiocassettes, educational models, charts, and 16mm film. There are some Spanish and bilingual (English and Spanish) materials. There is no charge for Texas residents to borrow from our library except for return shipping charges.
Call 214.509.4905 for login information.
Call 214.509.4905 for login information.
- Alt Health Watch - Focuses on the many perspectives of complementary, holistic and integrated approaches to health care and wellness. It offers libraries full text articles for 180 international, and often peer-reviewed journals and reports. In addition, there are hundreds of pamphlets, booklets, special reports, original research and book excerpts. (Available through Discovery Texas. Call 214.509.4905 for login information.)
- Ebsco Consumer Health Complete - The single most comprehensive resource for consumer-oriented health content. It is designed to support patients' information needs and foster an overall understanding of health-related topics. CHC provides content covering all areas of health and wellness from mainstream medicine to the many perspectives of complementary, holistic and integrated medicine. This full text database covers topics such as aging, cancer, diabetes, drugs & alcohol, fitness, nutrition & dietetics, children's health, men & women's health, etc. (Available through Discovery Texas. Call 214.509.4905 for login information.)
- Ebsco Natural & Alternative Treatments - Contains detailed information on almost 200 different conditions and the conventional and natural treatments used to treat them, over 300 herbs and supplements, plus drug-herb and drug-supplement interactions for more than 90 drug categories.(Available through Discovery Texas. Call 214.509.4905 for login information.)
- Health & Wellness Resource Center - Provides a one stop, full-service resource for consumers and health care professionals covering topics both in traditional medicine and alternative and complimentary therapies. It provides a rich collection of books, journals, magazines, pamphlets, and streaming videos. This product offers additional information on alternative topics such as, herbal remedies, yoga, homeopathy, midwifery, chiropractic and more. (Available through Discovery Texas. Call 214.509.4905 for login information.)
- Health Reference Center Academic - Provides access to the full text of nursing and allied health journals, plus a wide variety of personal health information sources. Integrates the full text and images of respected nursing, allied health and medical journals; consumer health magazines; newsletters; pamphlets; newspaper articles; topical interviews; and key reference books. (Available through Discovery Texas. Call 214.509.4905 for login information.)
- Health Source: Consumer Edition - The richest collection of consumer health information available to libraries worldwide. This resource provides access to more than 130 full text, consumer health magazines, including American Fitness, Better Nutrition, Harvard Health Letter, HealthFacts, Men's Health, Muscle & Fitness, Prevention, Vegetarian Times, and many others. Also included in this database is searchable full text for current, health-related pamphlets and 130 health reference books, including books published by the People's Medical Society. Additionally, Health Source: Consumer Edition contains more than 4,500 Clinical Reference Systems reports (in English and Spanish); Lexi-PAL Drug Guide, which covers 1,300 generic drug patient education sheets with more than 4,700 brand names; and Merriam-Webster's Medical Desk Dictionary. This full text database covers topics such as AIDS, cancer, diabetes, drugs & alcohol, aging, fitness, nutrition & dietetics, children's health, women's health, etc. (Available through Discovery Texas. Call 214.509.4905 for login information.)